Monday, April 20, 2020

Droughts and Floods: Earth day

Today I will be talking about two of the twelve natural disasters, Droughts and floods.

Droughts:

A Drought is when there is unusually long dry weather. There is lots of dust storms and not enough water to survive, people don't have enough water to nourish their crops and give water to their cattle so sadly people die of lack of food and dehydration. Droughts are getting a lot worse because of climate change and the world is getting warmer which is meaning more Droughts. When Droughts happen the ground becomes hard and when there's finally rainfall the ground is so hard that the water can't seep through to get to the soil and the water stays on top and floods.

Floods:

Floods happen when there is too much water and it overflows onto land. Floods have been a threat since humanity started. The water drowns the crops and drowns cattle ending in starvation. The worst Floods happened in China in 1931 and killed 2,500,000 people to 4,000,000 people. Floods have become more common because of the Arctic ice caps melting which is making the ocean levels rise onto islands.


5 comments:

  1. Hey Levi,
    I liked your Floods paragraph the most. I liked how it included more information about floods. I liked when you mentioned how the worst flood was in China. I think you did more research on the floods than the droughts. I like how you made the paragraphs flow into eachother by mentioning the floods at the end of the drought paragraph. I really like this SBC! Please comment on mine at https://kidblog.org/class/7th-grade-english-19-20/posts/39m3cyv4c2nx4sxhwav2zkzcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Levi,
    I was sad when you said that, because the ice caps are melting, more floods are happening. I wish both of these things didn't happen.
    I liked how you did these two opposite things, but they still work together.
    You can read my post at https://kidblog.org/class/7th-grade-english-19-20/posts/25i510giuex02itm6nkf1bli6
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am Hillary and I am from California. It is terrible when a drought happens and is a long process to get back to normal when one happens.California always gets dry and hot during the summer, so we expierence a lot of droughts. Have you ever expierenced a drought or a flood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Levi I thought that this was really interesting I'm from California and here we don't get a lot of rain and we used to be in a super long drought and it sucks because I really like the rain and I know most people don't. But I just liking sitting inside while its raining and having a chill day how about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I have been to California before, it was super hot! I stayed inside then later me and my family went to Mission Beach.In New Zealand we occasionally get rain but on other days it is very hot. I would like to know if you get snow in winter or just endless sun?.

      Delete